January 11, 2021
A severe toothache is one of the more common warning signs that you need root canal therapy. This is because bacteria have traveled to the sensitive pulp area. If the tooth stops hurting, is that a sign that you no longer need a root canal in Lancaster? Continue reading to get the answer.(more…)
November 30, 2020
Many patients assume the only reason to have a wisdom teeth extraction performed is to avoid overcrowding of their teeth. While this can be one reason for the procedure, it is far from the only reason. The fact is your wisdom teeth could surprisingly be at the root of many underlying health issues. So how do you know if you need to contact your DeSoto area dentist for a wisdom teeth extraction procedure?
What Is a Wisdom Teeth Extraction Procedure?
To put it simply, a wisdom teeth extraction procedure is simply the removal of one, or all, of your wisdom teeth. Your wisdom teeth are the last set of molars to emerge from the very back of your gums, usually during the teen years. Since many of us have already undergone corrective oral alignment processes such as braces; an extra set of incoming teeth can understandably pose a problem with overcrowding an otherwise set of straight and healthy teeth.
While this overcrowding is one of the most common reasons to have the wisdom teeth removed, there are several other issues that can add to the extraction necessity as well. Knowing what to look for when determining if you should schedule a wisdom teeth extraction, can help you make a timely decision and minimize potential health issues or discomfort.
What Are the Signs You May Need to Have Your Wisdom Teeth Taken Out?
Other than creating a crowded gumline, your incoming wisdom teeth can be the root of many other health issues as well. If you’re debating whether to schedule that extraction, here are a few of the most common issues caused by emerging wisdom teeth:
- Sinus Pain and Pressure. Few patients realize this, but your sinuses have a strong connection to your dental health. Oftentimes, painful and congested sinuses could be an indication of oral health issues. Many patients experience sinus pressure relief after having a wisdom teeth extraction.
- Jaw and Gumline Pain. Since wisdom teeth often grow in compacted – or toward your other teeth – instead of straight in, it can cause severe pain and discomfort as they emerge. If you notice pain while chewing, brushing, or even speaking, it could be caused by incoming wisdom teeth.
- Inflammation and Sores. If your wisdom teeth are left to grow without proper professional care and preventative measures, it can lead to extreme oral pain and discomfort. If you notice swollen gums or cysts forming at the gumline, it’s highly important to speak with your Lancaster dentist about a wisdom teeth extraction.
How to Find a Trusted Local Dentist for Your Tooth Extraction
If you experience any form of discomfort – whether directly related to incoming wisdom teeth or not – it’s imperative to talk to our team of dental professionals today. Wisdom teeth extraction is one of the most common oral procedures done today and is often able to relieve a multitude of health issues for our patients. Give us a call today to see if an extraction may be the right choice for you.
November 22, 2020
For millions of patients, the very thought of a visit to the dentist can cause anxiety of all levels. In fact, many people experience such high levels of anxiety over a dental appointment that it can keep them from seeking essential professional oral care altogether. Whether the thought of a trip to the dentist causes minor discomfort or major anxiety, sedation dentistry could be a viable solution for you.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is often confused with general anesthesia, but the process generally allows for patients to remain awake, yet calm, during their visit. With sedation dentistry, patients are given a carefully monitored dose of medication that simply induces a sedative – yet conscious – state.
In most cases, minimal sedation levels are more than sufficient to help put patients at ease while they’re in for their appointment, but it’s important to note there are several levels of sedation available as needed. Since not every case is the same, some may require a deeper state of sedation than others. For this reason, there are multiple options to help patients relax:
- Minimal sedation is most commonly used among patients. This type allows clients to remain in a calm, relaxed state while staying fully awake during their visit.
- Moderate sedation can be used for those who experience higher levels of anxiety surrounding their dental visit. This option allows for patients to remain conscious but will cause slurred speech and a general sense of confusion and inability to recall the process.
- Deep sedation is similar to general anesthesia in the sense that you will be in a state of deep relaxation that is close to being asleep. The main difference is that this process will allow for a quicker awakening once the procedure is complete.
Sedation and Anxiety
For those who experience various levels of anxiety surrounding dental procedures, sedation dentistry can be a viable option to help relieve the stressors that keep you from getting much needed oral care. Here at our DeSoto office, we believe in providing our patients with the most informative services in order to ensure the highest level of comfort available.
With several levels of sedation dentistry available to help ease your anxiety, our staff is here to provide the most comfortable dental experience possible. Our sedation options are used in conjunction with localized anesthesia as needed in order to manage not just your anxiety, but also, any potential pain or physical discomfort during certain procedures.
Finding Comfortable Dentistry Near You
Our office in Lancaster has utilized sedation dentistry to help keep our patients at ease for years. Whether our patients come to us with concerns such as:
- Tooth sensitivity
- Major dental work needs
- Extreme anxiety over dental work
- Painful previous experiences from other offices
- Trouble with gagging
We are here to help with the perfect solution for each and every one. We are dedicated to providing not just the most innovative and knowledgeable services, but the most comfortable and gentle dental experience as well. Give us a call today to see how sedation dentistry could be a solution for your dental stressors.
October 29, 2020
When it’s time to search for a new family dentist, you may find yourself wondering how in the world you should go about narrowing the list and finding the right choice for your household. With so many options to choose from, knowing how to locate the perfect fit with a new dental professional can be a daunting task. That’s why our DeSoto dental professionals put every effort into making things easy for our patients – both new and continuing!
The Basics of Choosing the Right Dental Professional
Searching for the best family dentist can be confusing if you’re not sure what to look for. The right professional isn’t always (and shouldn’t be) as simple as choosing the first name you come across in the phone book or online search. There are many factors to consider that will help you narrow your list of options to one that’s tailored to your family’s specific oral hygiene needs. While there are a number of things to consider, here is a look at some of the most basic issues to keep in mind when shopping for a new family dentist:
- Do they offer the specific family services you need (emergency dentistry, sedative dentistry, etc.)?
- Do they accept your insurance and/or are they in your covered insurance network?
- Are they highly recommended by your friends and family and their other patients?
- Are they accepting new patients?
- Are they properly licensed and devoted to on-going certifications and education?
The Next Steps
Once you have narrowed down your list of potential new family dentists, it’s time to take a more detailed look at your options. There are a few ways you can get to know a respective oral professional before committing to patient status – all of which will help you gain a better feel for how well they fit with your family’s needs and dynamics.
In the Lancaster area, there are a wide range of dental professionals to choose from. Taking a deeper look at your options will help you land the perfect fit for your family. To do this, explore the information provided on their websites in great detail. Check to see that they are properly accredited, look for online reviews to hear what their previous patients have to say about their own experiences, and note their available services.
Schedule a Visit
After doing some diligent online research, the next step is to make some phone calls and plan a visit. Call around to those dental professionals who have made your short list, and don’t be afraid to ask detailed questions when you call. Take note of the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff members you have contact with. If you decide to visit the location in person for the initial contact, that’s an excellent way to gauge the cleanliness and professionalism of the office atmosphere.
Above all, the most important thing to consider when choosing a new family dental practitioner is to ensure they are the right fit for your specific family needs. Meet them. Talk to them. Ask lots of questions about their services and credentials. Just as you would any other professional service, doing your homework will help you land the perfect choice for your household.
October 15, 2020
If you’re considering having some cosmetic dentistry performed, chances are, you have questions. Often times our patients come to us with concerns about cost, recovery times, result expectations, and many other things they are considering prior to an upcoming procedure – all of which are excellent questions! Whether you’re in the beginning stages and searching for the best dental office in DeSoto to perform your elected dental service, or you’ve been a patient for years and are looking to have some additional work done, we’re here to help!
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
For starters, one of the first things to understand is simply – what is cosmetic dentistry? Since different offices offer different procedures and services, it’s important to know exactly what your dentist can do before deciding which option is best for you.
Cosmetic dentistry is essentially an elective procedure that involves improving the overall healthy appearance of your smile. These services involve a wide range of options that can be tailored to your specific needs. At Lancaster Family Smiles, our team offers exceptional cosmetic dentistry practices that include:
- Gum line recontouring
- Gap corrections with bonding procedures
- Straightening options such as Invisalign, BioClear, and traditional braces
- Ceramic veneers
- Professional cleaning and whitening treatments
- Filling replacements to match your teeth
What to Know Before Your Procedure
Once you have discussed your viable options with your family dentist and come up with the right solution for your needs, it’s important to prepare by asking questions. Your trusted oral care professional should walk you through the steps from how to prepare for your upcoming procedure to tips for optimal recovery afterwards. It’s also imperative, however, for you to speak up with questions on anything you don’t understand.
Some of the most common questions and concerns we are asked by our patients prior to their cosmetic dentistry procedures include:
- Is this procedure covered by my dental insurance?
- Have others had great success with this procedure or service?
- Can I see images of previous patients’ successes?
- Will this be painful and/or how can I manage the recovery process?
- Do I need to be sedated for this procedure?
- How can I prepare for my treatment or procedure?
Preparing for Your Cosmetic Dentistry Procedure
After you’ve made the decision to schedule your elected cosmetic procedure, it’s best to begin preparations to ensure the smoothest service and recovery possible. Depending on which treatment you are seeking, your preparations could be minor or very complex. While your family dentist will be able to help you outline your preparations, here are a few of the most important steps to take prior to any cosmetic dentistry procedure:
- Call your insurance agency. Being surprised by high dental bills for something that your insurance didn’t cover is never a good thing. Always ensure you call to verify what procedures are (and are not) covered by your insurance before scheduling the service.
- Plan for down time. If you’re having a more extensive procedure done, you will want to plan for recovery time as needed. This may mean scheduling time off of work or other responsibilities.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. The most important step to ensure a healthy recovery process (and to allow optimal results), is to follow all advice given by your family dentist.
September 22, 2020
On behalf of our team of professionals at Lancaster Smiles, we would like to congratulate Dr. Gupta on earning her Fellowship accreditation with the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD)! Her latest achievement speaks volumes to the degree of dedication our practice puts forth to continuing our knowledge of dental practices in order to provide our patients with the absolute best possible care available today. Here’s a little bit about what this certification entails and what it means to our patients and practice going forward:
What Is an AGD Fellowship?
Since 1952, the Academy of General Dentistry has been helping dental professionals across the country to continue their education efforts in order to stay abreast of the latest advancements and technology in the field. Dedicated to the advocacy for continual learning, the foundation offers a fellowship program to recognize those professionals who meet their exceptional criteria for professional training and advancement practices. In fact, their criteria are so exceptional, only 6% of general dentistry professionals in the United States and Canada combined, have achieved the coveted fellowship award.
How Is This Achievement Earned?
We are extremely proud to announce that Dr. Gupta’s dedication to continuing education has earned her this fellowship, and a place among the top 6% of dental professionals in the nation. This has been an achievement that demanded years of ongoing educational courses as well as a commitment to meeting the fellowship requirements. In order to earn this exceptional accreditation, your family dentist has undergone vigorous training and AGD testing that has included:
- Completion of 500 hours of course specified continued education (CE) programs and studies. This is a commitment of 500 educational hours beyond her licensing and degree requirements in order to stay current on the most advanced dental breakthroughs of the day.
- Maintain all proper licensing as well as maintain an AGD membership in excellent standing for a minimum of three years prior to the fellowship award.
- Successful completion (passing grade) of the 3-hour long fellowship examination following the 500 hours of CE. This examination is an extensive compilation of the latest dental professional intel of the day and requires a solid grasp of all CE obtained during that time.
What an AGD Fellowship Means to Our Lancaster Smiles Friends and Families
Dr. Gupta and staff are all deeply committed to offering the most comprehensive and caring dental services in the area. It is this commitment that has led to her continued dedication to CE courses and achieving the AGD fellowship as a way to provide our patients with the best, most knowledgeable care. We’d like to extend our congratulations again to Dr. Gupta for this impressive achievement as we let our family of patients know how committed we are to stay at the top of our field – for you, our patients! This latest achievement is just one of the many ways your local family dentist is ensuring you receive top-notch care at every appointment, and now she has the fellowship award to show for this dedication!
November 3, 2019
When choosing how to replace your missing teeth, you can opt for a solution that is less invasive and requires more frequent replacements such as dentures or a fixed bridge, or you can invest in a longer-lasting, durable, and fully functional option like dental implants in Lancaster. Patients who choose the latter experience great success, and so can you, but first, you might want to know more about what you can expect from this surgical procedure. To find out, read on to learn about each phase and how you’ll achieve your new and improved smile.(more…)
October 23, 2019
After researching veneers in Lancaster, you think they’re the perfect cosmetic solution to refresh your damaged and discolored smile. In as few as three visits to your dentist, you’ll have a symmetrical, bright, and straight grin that you won’t want to wait to show off to your friends and family. When you make an investment in your grin, it makes sense that you would want to make it last as long as possible. To keep your veneers looking clean, white, and healthy, it’s best to take a few precautionary measures. Read on to learn how to preserve your beautiful smile so it can last for years to come.(more…)
September 19, 2019
Every time you take a sip of some delicious hot coffee, it sends a jolt of pain through one of your teeth. However, you have a serious fear of the dentist. You summon all your courage to go get it looked at, but then they tell you that you need a root canal in Lancaster. What exactly is a root canal? Can you get sedation dentistry to make the whole thing easier? Continue reading to find out.(more…)
July 15, 2019
For many people, the words “root canal” are some of the scariest words in the English language. The procedure has a reputation of being painful. However, the pain associated with those words actually comes from the pain they experience before treatment. The procedure itself doesn’t hurt any more than getting a simple filling. But what exactly is a root canal? And how do you know when you need a root canal in Lancaster? Let’s look at 7 signs that a root canal may be necessary.(more…)