Who Knew?! Fun Tooth Tidbits From a Dentist in Lancaster TX
January 4, 2018
It’s easy to take teeth for granted. Sure, on the surface of things they may seem a bit boring, but your little chompers are actually pretty interesting! Even if you use your teeth day in and day out without giving them a second thought, in reality they’re one more marvel of the human body. In fact, they can last 90-100 years if properly maintained and can go through millions of chewing cycles in that time. They’re also the first thing people see when you smile! So let’s take a moment to appreciate everything teeth do and look at some fun facts from a dentist in Lancaster TX.
Facts About Teeth That May Surprise You
- The surface of your tongue is absolutely unique, just like your fingerprints.
- Giraffes only have bottom teeth, which probably makes for their crooked grins.
- Teeth are pretty tough! The enamel (the outer layer of your teeth) is actually the hardest substance in the human body, even harder than your bones.
- Women smile an average of 62 times a day, while men smile about 8 times.
- Plaque is made up of over 300 different species of bacteria. There’s quite a party going on in there!
- If you aren’t flossing, you’re missing 40% of the surface area in your mouth. That’s like missing 40% of your body each time you shower!
- Almost 1 in 4 American adults are missing all of their teeth.
- On average, people can produce 100,000 gallons of saliva over the course of their life.
- Teeth begin forming before birth.
- Even just 150 years ago, barbers and blacksmiths provided dental care. Thankfully, when you need dentistry today you look for “the best dentist in Lancaster TX,” not the best barber!
- In the U.S. people spend around 2 billion dollars annually on oral healthcare products.
- Some of the earliest kinds of toothpaste actually contained sugars such as honey.
- If a dinosaur lost a tooth, they just grew a new one.
- Mosquitoes have 47 teeth. No wonder mosquito bites are no fun!
- Floss wasn’t available commercially until 1882.
- Generally, right-handed people tend to chew on the right side, while left-handed people chew on the left.
- The first toothbrushes were actually twigs.
- Tastebuds have a lifespan of around 10 days.
- People use more blue toothbrushes than red ones.
- The average person spends almost 40 full days brushing their teeth over a lifetime!
So, if you’re looking for an interesting topic of conversation you can file these tidbits away. After all, you might be hard-pressed to find anything that’s more universally relatable, since literally everyone has teeth!
About the Author
Dr. Mahima Gupta is a general, restorative and cosmetic who strives to make dentistry enjoyable and comfortable for all her patients. In addition to using the latest dental techniques and always seeking out advanced education, she has a caring and compassionate chairside manner that makes her patients feel at ease. She can be reached for questions through her website, or at (469) 729-7707.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.