November 22, 2020
For millions of patients, the very thought of a visit to the dentist can cause anxiety of all levels. In fact, many people experience such high levels of anxiety over a dental appointment that it can keep them from seeking essential professional oral care altogether. Whether the thought of a trip to the dentist causes minor discomfort or major anxiety, sedation dentistry could be a viable solution for you.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is often confused with general anesthesia, but the process generally allows for patients to remain awake, yet calm, during their visit. With sedation dentistry, patients are given a carefully monitored dose of medication that simply induces a sedative – yet conscious – state.
In most cases, minimal sedation levels are more than sufficient to help put patients at ease while they’re in for their appointment, but it’s important to note there are several levels of sedation available as needed. Since not every case is the same, some may require a deeper state of sedation than others. For this reason, there are multiple options to help patients relax:
- Minimal sedation is most commonly used among patients. This type allows clients to remain in a calm, relaxed state while staying fully awake during their visit.
- Moderate sedation can be used for those who experience higher levels of anxiety surrounding their dental visit. This option allows for patients to remain conscious but will cause slurred speech and a general sense of confusion and inability to recall the process.
- Deep sedation is similar to general anesthesia in the sense that you will be in a state of deep relaxation that is close to being asleep. The main difference is that this process will allow for a quicker awakening once the procedure is complete.
Sedation and Anxiety
For those who experience various levels of anxiety surrounding dental procedures, sedation dentistry can be a viable option to help relieve the stressors that keep you from getting much needed oral care. Here at our DeSoto office, we believe in providing our patients with the most informative services in order to ensure the highest level of comfort available.
With several levels of sedation dentistry available to help ease your anxiety, our staff is here to provide the most comfortable dental experience possible. Our sedation options are used in conjunction with localized anesthesia as needed in order to manage not just your anxiety, but also, any potential pain or physical discomfort during certain procedures.
Finding Comfortable Dentistry Near You
Our office in Lancaster has utilized sedation dentistry to help keep our patients at ease for years. Whether our patients come to us with concerns such as:
- Tooth sensitivity
- Major dental work needs
- Extreme anxiety over dental work
- Painful previous experiences from other offices
- Trouble with gagging
We are here to help with the perfect solution for each and every one. We are dedicated to providing not just the most innovative and knowledgeable services, but the most comfortable and gentle dental experience as well. Give us a call today to see how sedation dentistry could be a solution for your dental stressors.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.